Who Am I, What I’ve Been Up to, and What I’m Doing
hi! My name is Asia Monét Cooley. Asia like the continent and Monét like the artist- yes you are correct, and according to my father, neither of those associations played a factor in the name-making process. Thank you for coming to my FAQ Ted Talk.
I was born in a small beach town called Los Angeles, California.
I’m kidding, sort of.
I was technically born and raised in the San Fernando Valley (the ValleyGirl!), but I have come to find that the general audience don’t know specific cities in the Valley, and because it's still in LA County, I just say LA. Besides, it gives more shock value.
Other than mostly made out of sarcasm I also:
- dabble in photography and video content creation
- recently became a Yelp Elite (really proud to have a badge that says I like to eat)
- have a stutter (maybe you’ll hear it one day)
- really want to travel the world (but for some reason I keep buying a ticket to Australia)
- have written journal entries for over 10 years (a book in progress)
- love Marvel, and the cinema but also Marvel.
- prefer oceans > mountains, change my mind
I’ve always enjoyed writing. One of my earlier (and still most favorite) is poems. I think creative writing has always helped me sort out the demons in my head and have a voice when I felt like stuttering robbed me of that.
Now, I want to take it to the next level and just freely share my life as a person who stutters, as a 20-something WOC trying to navigate the world and everything in between.
So I hope you join me on this journey. Maybe grab some food and have some food for thought. And if you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
I’m glad you're here!
(Also if you’re wondering why I used my middle name for this blog, truth is, I really like it and I’d hate for it to go to waste.)